Prevent Backflow Water Damage
• To prevent sewage backflows talk with a plumber regarding the installation of backflow restrictors and other such devices.
• Store items above the floor to prevent damage; using either wood blocks or shelving. Be sure down spouts from rain gutters are directing water away from the house.
• Add window well covers to the outside of your home. Adjust the grade of your property where it meets the foundation.
• Check the working operation of sump pumps and/or sump alarms.
• Have a stand-by sump pump.
• Turn off outdoor water spigots and ensure the line is drained prior to winter.
• Turn off water supply lines to washers, toilets and sinks when you take vacations.
• Arrange for frequent visits by friends while you are on vacation.