Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
An emergency situation is always a concern with how to begin the process of any type of mitigation. As for any water damage emergencies, one must always think of the safety of yourself and those who are affected. But before SERVPRO of Palos Verdes arrives here are a few
Helpful tips before-hand:
- Shut off the water source and if not possible contact a third party who is responsible to cease the water source.
- Shore up any upholstery or furniture for even drying.
- Remove any extra water by blotting or mopping.
- Wipe up any excess water from any wooden tables after withdrawing any tabletop items or misc.
- Any items that have of value such as any art, important documents, electrical items-computer that are sensitive to any moisture. To then place items in a dry and safe place.
- If possible, for any wet carpet to place aluminum foil or wooden blocks to prop and dry.
Do not do before-hand:
- Step into areas that are affected with electrical outlets or breakers.
- In putting forth of using a household vacuum cleaner to remove any excess water.
- Turn on any electrical appliances while there is still any standing water.
- Leaving any wall to wall carpet such as oriental rugs may cause staining on the wet carpet.
- Any use of ceiling fixtures or fans where the ceiling has collected water and has cause sagging.
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (424) 570-9900
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.