SERVPRO of Palos Verdes wants you to keep your home and family safe this holiday season.
Christmas wouldn’t be complete without seasonal decorations such as Christmas trees and twinkling lights. These accessories make the holidays more joyful, but not being cautious when using them can lead to unwanted situations. According to the U.S. Fire Administration (USFA), there are more than double the amount of fires on Christmas Day than on any other day of the year. Here are some ways to prevent fires in your home during the holidays:
- Choose an artificial Christmas tree instead of a real one, since artificial trees are less likely to start a fire. Make sure the tree is labeled, certified, or identified by the manufacturer as fire retardant.
- Position trees at a good distance from heat sources, such as radiators and fireplaces.
- If you use extension cords to light up multiple indoor lights, consider plugging them into a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) for extra safety.
- If you have outdoor decorative lights, ensure that they’re securely fastened to trees, gutters and/or other parts of the home. Use secure clips to prevent the wind from whipping them and lights from breaking.
- Unattended cooking is the most common culprit of kitchen fires. Never leave food unattended when cooking.
- Test your smoke detectors before the holidays and be sure to have fire extinguishers ready if a fire starts.
- Leave one foot of space between candles and anything else and make sure the candle holders or bases are stable. Don’t leave candles burning when you leave the room or going to bed. Always supervise them.
Prevent Backflow Water Damage
Water Damage - Call SERVPRO of Palos Verdes
• To prevent sewage backflows talk with a plumber regarding the installation of backflow restrictors and other such devices.
• Store items above the floor to prevent damage; using either wood blocks or shelving. Be sure down spouts from rain gutters are directing water away from the house.
• Add window well covers to the outside of your home. Adjust the grade of your property where it meets the foundation.
• Check the working operation of sump pumps and/or sump alarms.
• Have a stand-by sump pump.
• Turn off outdoor water spigots and ensure the line is drained prior to winter.
• Turn off water supply lines to washers, toilets and sinks when you take vacations.
• Arrange for frequent visits by friends while you are on vacation.
A minor mold problem can quickly become a major infestation if left untreated.
Mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level.
The main things mold needs to grow in a home are organic materials to feed on and moisture. Your home already provides plenty of organic materials for mold to live on such as wood, drywall and various other building materials.
Keep in mind that most molds need 24-48 hours of moisture to begin to grow. Therefore if a suitable material in your home is wet for more than 24 hours then you run the risk of mold starting to grow. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
We live and work in this community too; we might even be neighbors. As a locally owned and operated business, SERVPRO of Palos Verdes is close by and ready to help with your mold-damaged property.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today -424-570-9900
Palos Verdes Smoke and Soot Cleanup
Smoke and Soot Damage Can Cause a Pervasive Odor in Your Home.
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home and walls, causing hidden damage and odor. At SERVPRO of Palos Verdes, our smoke/soot damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke:
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Palos Verdes will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services:
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – 424-570-9900